There are literally 2 things good about summers. Colours, and well, lack of thirty-five layers. The heat, the stickiness, the hot air always welcoming you with open arms. The list can actually keep on going. But you know what can make it less irritating? Pretty, colourful, tasty and fresh foods! Here’s a list of yummy summer foods that you can eat, stock up, carry with you and feel an instant hit of coolness!
1. Open veggie toasties: Bread solves all matters, of the heart, of the mind, and of the body. Plus who doesn’t love bruschetta, some toasties, or snacks that are bread based?! Give a spin to your bread and top it up with avocado, berries, green apples, maybe even mango if you spread it well with a condiment! These are great foods if you are on the go so you can carry them to work or while running errands!
2. Zoodle Spaghetti: We aren’t cooking up a name, no. Zoodles are essentially zucchini noodles that you can fashion in any way you want, as they look and taste as delicious as your regular pasta. Our favourite way of eating zoodles? With some pesto sauce, pine nuts and cherry tomatoes! It is pretty much the most decadent salad ever!
3. Watermelon Cups: Imagine stuffed peppers, but in a sweet and refreshing avatar. In any home appliances store you will get shape cutters, and all you have to do is cut up watermelon in your favourite shape, and ours is a circular one. Top the cup high with sprouts and some mint and you have something absolutely stunning and also something yum!
4. Gazpacho: Pumpkin, butternut squash, tomato, you name it you got it! A cold tomato soup with some mozzarella and croutons is the best comfort food you can get, which will have the perfect texture for summer. Have it for lunch, or as a pre-dinner meal!
5. Fruit Popsicles: We are sensing a theme here, and yes the theme is fruits and veggies! Freeze your favourite berries, pineapples, kiwis with their natural nectars and have homemade popsicles available readily at all times.
6. Summer Rolls: This Vietnamese dish is our absolute favourite! Cool, crunchy, and with oodles of flavours this dish is full of East Asian essences. Give it some seafood tinge with salmon or some authentic feel by peanuts and watercress!
7. Asparagus Sushi: Okay vegetarian sushi seems like a consolation always but in this case, its neck to neck with the original version. Green, delicious and crunchy it will also appease your healthy taste buds!
Have a party, invite friends, present them with these easy, sumptuous and cool summer foods and they will never want to leave. Okay, maybe just keep all this goodness to yourself.